Friday, January 3, 2014

Word for 2014

This time of year, I, like many artists, select a word to remind us of a mindset we would like to focus on for the year.  This year my word is move.  Yeah, I am actually going to try to be a bit more active than I was in 2013.  This is because my age is manifesting itself with little painful reminders to my joints.  Hips, lower back, that sort of thing.  So, I am trying to slow it down a bit through the use of movement.  I did a search for exercises that concentrate on the areas that hurt me, picked the ones I felt I could do without major training, and started out.  I also set my timer on the iPhone that let's me know when it is time to get up from my book or the computer and move about a bit.  The muscles I did not have amazed me.  But what I discovered is that just a bit of workout a few times a day and they respond...so it takes more and more to actually give them a workout.  So, for three or four times a day for most days I am doing a few leg lifts to strengthen the muscles around my hips and the little twinges of pain have gone already!  Yay.  I am also doing some shoulder muscle strengthening and that led to a couple of underarm flab busters.  I feel better-more alert.  I tell me "for health" just do it. I am not one to return to doing the same thing over and over and have never felt I wanted to exercise to lose weight so I am not sure how this is going to work out but I am moving and that is good.  For now.  Hope your word of the year works for you!


1 comment:

  1. Great word - and we all need to move more to maximize muscle strength and help our joints! My word is flexible - and I went back to ballet barre in September and haven't missed a week! But it is also to remind me to remain flexible with my goals - and let my passion determine my pathway this year.

    ReplyDelete

To all who leave me a comment-THANKS! I love reading what you have to say, I love your input, I love your ideas!

Come join me in my nest. Rest online with me. Talk with me. Play art with me! Follow me where ever my flights of fancy take me! Forgive me for my mistakes, enjoy my successes. And please, feel free to comment or to follow me!