Friday, January 21, 2011

Brown Paper Bag Art

I have always making things from brown paper bags.  Envelopes are fun, and I used to make them lots.  That was before the bubble wrap envies became so popular for mailing artsy stuff!  Anyway, I have a roll, yes a roll of paper bag paper!  I use it all the time for all kinds of things. It is even fun to draw on and I have been going to make a brown paper bag paper journal for that.
But, moving on....


My friend and mentor Alma Stoller, being the prolific artist that she is, hosts the I Heart Zines swap every year starting about in July, I think.  I have so enjoyed doing this swap!  You would not believe the most beautiful and fun zines I now own because of that swap.

This year, one of the zines I received was from Lorie G.  It is all about brown paper bag art.  In it she has so much info about brown paper bag projects, like making flowers, charms, etc.  One that I fell in love with was waxed paper bag dolls.  As soon as I read the zine I got busy.  Here are the dolls I made:


Above you see a glimpse of Lorie's beautifully crafted zine...


Waxing gives these modern day ladies a rather "old world" look.


I experimented with coloring the dolls... some things work some don't



The bag lady on the right is using a paper bag with a different texture, kind of a slicker feel to it, and it showed the glue a bit more.

I had fun with these ladies... and thanks to Lorie for the inspiration and to Alma for the swap!

8 comments:

  1. Carol Sweetie,

    Those are lovely! I have made dolls from Brown paper bags before and I love making them. There are so many things you can do with Brown Paper Bags. Have fun!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol--these dolls are really cool. Tell us more about how you made them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a wonderful group of ladies. Would be great to add pockets for them in an altered book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THEM!!

    I too would like to know the basics of how you made them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My comment just disappeared!

    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THEM!! I too would like to know how you made them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, I discovered your website by the use of Google whilst looking
    for a comparable matter, your website came up, it appears to be
    like good. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hi there, simply turned into aware of your weblog via Google, and located that it's
    truly informative. I am gonna be careful for brussels.
    I will be grateful for those who continue this in future. Many other people
    can be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
    My website - kitty.pl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I гeally liκе уour blοg.

    . very nice colors & thеme. Diԁ уou create this websitе yourself oг ԁiԁ уou hirе
    someone tο do it for you? Plz гeply aѕ I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. many thanks
    Also visit my web blog : hoynes

    ReplyDelete

To all who leave me a comment-THANKS! I love reading what you have to say, I love your input, I love your ideas!

Come join me in my nest. Rest online with me. Talk with me. Play art with me! Follow me where ever my flights of fancy take me! Forgive me for my mistakes, enjoy my successes. And please, feel free to comment or to follow me!